Wednesday, November 05, 2008

October 2008 by Charles Brecheisen

ALTAIR PLAQUE: The ceremony was attended by several shipmates including Admiral Colbert's widow, Mrs. Prudence Mackee. Thanks to all that donated for this wonderful ship remembrance and ceremony!

NAVY LOG:
Joe Basso notes that on the Navy Memorial site
http://www.navymemorial.org/ there is a section named "Navy Log." Click on the "Navy Log" button at the top of the Memorial site and it will take you to the Log site. You can sign up, create you own profile, upload your picture, etc. It's free too! Check it out!

ALTAIR REUNION: What a wonderful reunion..........Tom Planes deserves the highest kudos for a job very well done! All the reports that I have heard have been glowing and everyone had a great time. Dick Braun's "2008 Reunion recap" was emailed some time ago. A reunion committee was formed and there will be a reunion next year 2009 about the same time. More info to follow as it becomes available. Great job Tom!

FINANCIAL: The beginning balance was $584.30 with no income and expenses of $33.00 for overnight check mailing leaving a balance of $551.30. Tom Planes reports that a check (dues/auction/donations) from the reunion will be on the way to me to cover future expenses.

SHIPMATE PASSING: I am sorry to report the passing of Shipmate Ernest David Forbes Jr. on October 24, 2008. Ernie was a FN aboard the Altair 1961-63. Our sincerest condolences to the Forbes family. The family can be reached at:

828 Jamaica Blvd., Toms River, NJ 08757 732-349-7737

ALTAIR NEWSLETTER: I will be making some changes now that the plaque ceremony and reunion are over. My sincerest regrets to all the shipmates for my not being able to attend either event. Hopefully........next year.

All for now. Please contact me with any comments or questions. If I missed anything, please let me know!

Best Regards To All..........Charles

In a seperate email Charles sent this:

"I just knew that I was forgetting something very important.......and, I did.

Dick Braun has put up tons of great pics from the plaque ceremony and the reunion (plus tons of other great Altair pics) on our photo site. Spread the word about this site!

Please visit http://altair.smugmug.com and enjoy the photos!

Dick, thank you for a great job! High kudos to you!"

No comments: