Saturday, August 25, 2007

Altair News by Charles Brecheisen

Hello Shipmates. Several weeks ago, I received a copy of a letter from Shipmate Ronald Allan addressed to Mrs. Laidler Mackall. Ronald requested that I send information that I had about Captain Colbert to Mrs. Mackall. I sent her a nice letter plus the additional unpublished "Tour Memories" authored by Ed Johnson. In a couple of weeks I received the following letter:

"Dear Mr Brecheisen: I very much appreciate you sending me the Newsletter on the USS Altair. It brought back many happy memories of our time in Barcelona. I would very much like to contribute to the "Altair Plaque" at the Navy Memorial. I was on the Board of the Memorial for many years, when we were getting it started. I have tried several times to call you, but get the "answer off" on your machine - so I presume you are out of town. I would very much appreciate it if you could call me on our return tel: No. 301-xxx-xxxx, so I can find out how best to contribute. Thank you so much. Sincerely,

Prudence Colbert Mackall
(widow of Adm. Colbert)"

All I can say is is WOW! Admiral Colbert's widow! I remember seeing her during the change of command. We chatted on the phone quite a long time.

And,

Here is the kicker!!!!!!! We have $1650 in donations for the Altair Plaque. SHE IS SENDING ME $950 to complete the required $2500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More info to follow soon.

Best Regards To All...........Charles

No comments: