Saturday, January 17, 2009

Commander George J. Largess (Ret) passed away

Dear Webmasters of the USS Altair Website,

I hope this is the best way to pass along this information. My father, Commander George J. Largess USN (Ret), who commanded the Altair after her commissioning in Baltimore in 52, passed away on December 11 2008 after a short illness. He'd been doing great at the age of 91 but his kidneys began to fail and he declined quickly. He was very proud of his role in the Altair's history and frequently talked about her.

I'd love to hear from anyone who served with him who has any memories to share. And he'll be buried at Arlington on Wednesday, 28 January, at 0900 with full military honors-- all are most welcome to come, we'd love to have some of his shipmates there.

If anyone would like to reach me for more information I'm at _Largitas@aol.com_ (mailto:Largitas@aol.com) and again, would love to touch base with anyone from the ship. Thank you,

Bill Largess

No comments: