Monday, December 05, 2016

Additional Altair musings by Tommy Lee

Subject: Re: Altair email-Altair Musings
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 17:37:38 -0500

Shipmates:

I was on the port side of the boat deck painting the overhead while underway.  Commander Woodard came by and spotted the paint on my shoes and called me to attention.  He instructed me to remove my shoes and throw them overboard, which I did without hesitation.  I would have probably jumped overboard had he ordered me to do so.  In my mind, he was the Vince Lombardi of the fleet.

I cannot imagine Commander Woodard surrendering the Altair to a bunch of rag tag pirates or the recent swift boat incident with the Iranians where the crew were taken prisoners without a fight.  I personally blame this on Obama and the cowardly administration we have today.

What has happened to the navy we were in?  We were not on a battleship or Carrier.  We were on a cargo ship with only 40 mm's and a few small arms. However, the leadership and the men under them, would have stood tall and never given in to the boarding of our ship or small boats to the likes of the Iranians or anyone else.  Not a day goes by that I do not think of my shipmates and Commander Woodard.

AS Vince Lombardi would have said, "WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON OUT THERE" 

Tommy Lee BMSN, USS Altair AKS32 1961-1964

No comments: